[jdev] GSoC - IRC-to-MUC bridge

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:29:20 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be> wrote:
> > When (if) you accept this project idea, let me know (by mailing me directly or by replying to this thread).
>
>  AFAIK, we don't 'accept' project ideas, we just propose them. It's
>  left as a task of the potential student to work this idea out into a
>  project proposal, optionally by talking to the person who proposed
>  this idea (although this information seems to be missing from the GSoC
>  page for many projects :-( ). Then, we rate the project proposals.
>
>  If you haven't already, look at the post from Carlo v Loesch on this
>  mailinglist on the IRC-to-XMPP gateway.
>

>  >  P.S. "Serverless (Link-Local) IM component" is good too, but for me it
>  >  is not a prime-priority, as i have zero-knowledge about
>  >  zero-configuration ;) , except a few basic ideas behind it.
>
>  Having zero-knowledge makes it all the more interesting! Another
>  interesting aspect of this project is that you can make many users
>  happy, as this project doesn't target one client/server specifically,
>  but all clients. However, these are just my 2 cents :-)
>
>  cheers,
>  Remko

I proposed this idea and this kind of gateway because it won't harm
IRC users and will enable jabber users to connect to a certain
network. The operators of some IRC network would just have to allow
this new transport to connect to their other servers via IRC S2S
protocol and that's it. Though of course there is still the
possibility that the IRC people with their little egos won't like
that. ;)

Tobias