[jdev] SoC idea: providing multiplexing support

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Wed Mar 19 04:15:47 CDT 2008

>  I've been asking for the same feature a few years ago.
>  Thing is, if i use jabber client on some other PC than my desktop, logs
>  are saved there, not on my desktop (where i need them to be).

This is a separate issue I think. This is indeed a server-side history
request, and is something wanted by many people (including me).

The original poster's idea sounds like a client with a 'sync' mode,
behaving like this:
- Every incoming message is forwarded to all other resources that are
in 'sync' mode. The messages use AMP, like in the remote controlling
xep.
- For every gui change, an iq is sent with a GUI command, e.g.
      <iq type="set" to="me at example.com/otherresource">
         <ui-action type="open-chat" target="contact at blo.com"/>
      </iq>
- When a client goes into 'sync' mode, it requests the initial state
from one of the other resources

One should probably even use private PEP for the gui sync part,
instead of just sending iqs to every resource separately.

If the commands are basic (like 'open chat'), then both implementation
and conflict resolution sounds easy enough.

cheers,
Remko