[jdev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Nick Vidal nick at inf.ufrgs.br
Fri Mar 21 10:03:22 CDT 2008

Hi Peter,

Most attempts to join XMPP and Drupal have failed because people have tried
implementing an XMPP server for it, and that is rather challenging. Me and
Bard are looking into HTTP binding as a solution, letting XMPP servers such
as ejabberd and openfire do what they are good at (i.e. handling the XMPP
world), while letting Drupal handle the HTTP world. We are building a module
that works with buddylist <http://drupal.org/project/buddylist> (Drupal's
roster management) and feedAPI <http://drupal.org/project/feedapi> (Drupal's
PEP management), relying on HTTP binding to keep ejabberd aware of the
actions in the HTTP world. Ejabberd maintains Drupal aware of the XMPP world
through services <http://drupal.org/project/services> (Drupal's API).

For SoC, I would propose working with ejabberd or openfire and exploring
HTTP binding to bridge the Web/Jabber world. For example: exposing the
Jabber roster as FOAF/XFN to be consumed as a Web service. I'm leaving the
scope rather open because I believe it's important to let students think and
bring in new ideas.

We all know how great Jabber technology is, but certainly we cannot ignore
the great momentum that the Web has today. Rather than compete with it, the
best thing to do is to embrace it, and from there build a path towards a
real-time Web.

Best regards,
Nick