[jdev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Fri Mar 21 14:45:18 CDT 2008

>  If you work on an active Jabber/XMPP codebase but you have not yet
>  posted project ideas at the wiki, please do so as soon as possible. For
>  example, I don't see any ideas for ejabberd, Gajim, gloox, jabberd14,
>  jabberd2, Loudmouth, Openfire, SleekXMPP, Smack, Spark, Tigase, XMPP4R,
>  etc. If you are interested in being a mentor or in helping to choose the
>  GSoC projects, please ping me via IM.

As far as I know, another thing our community could really use is a
free, modern, good-looking, easy-to-use web-based IM client. The few
that I tried were either uninstallable, buggy, or looked like they
were designed in the 80's. Examples of good ones are Meebo, Google
Mail+Talk, Google Talk Gadget, but we all know these are closed.

IMO, it would be great if either someone from an existing project
would step up to get his project boosted, or if someone with Ajax
expertise would step up to propose a new project (this is one of the
few areas where I think new projects *would* be beneficial)

cheers,
Remko