[jdev] Binary Data via HTTP

Dallas Gutauckis dgutauckis at myyearbook.com
Mon Mar 24 13:36:07 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I am interested in having a specification to define how a server might
let a client know certain binary data is available via HTTP.

I'm working on a Javascript BOSH client and it would be useful if the
server made available to me certain data (like user avatars) in their
"natural" form such that I would be able to make use of a standard image
tag with http://... as the `src` attribute, instead of using the base64
as the `src` (which some browsers do not support)

I also see that this might be useful for the purposes of having the
server handle file transfers for a javascript client (which would not be
able to handle an ordinary XMPP-defined file transfer) It is suggested
that the server might download the file, and make available to the
client (when complete) the address (and possibly other data pertinent to
a file transfer) from which a user (via web browser) might be able to
download said file.

Please let me know what you think, and how we might structure this.

Thanks,
Dallas Gutauckis