[jdev] Wordpress plugin

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:48:51 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be> wrote:

>  By the way, the most important disadvantage of push is probably
>  privacy: with push, you have to provide your contact address in order
>  to get notifications, which can be passed on, and depends on the
>  server to unsubscribe you from it. I wouldn't want to give my jid to
>  all the RSS feed sites I'm subscribed to. And personally, I think
>  privacy is a lot more worth than bandwidth.

This is a tradeoff we should face sooner or later. On one side the
problem is real, on the other you already must provide an email
address for commenting post blogs or for using many web 2.0 social
services on the net. Moreover it is not just a bandwidth issue, but
the real added value of XMPP is the possibility to tune delivery
accordingly to presence or resources, thus tuning the feed to the
specific context use. However each time you start using these features
you also have to give away little bits of your privacy. The good thing
about XMPP is that you always have control about about who you have in
your roster and,  if privacy in such services becomes a real problem
there could be technical solutions (e.g. a local pubsub service which
anonimously subscribes to remote nodes and relays them)

bye

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com