[jdev] Python/XMPP GSoC proposal

LRN lrn1986 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 08:53:56 CDT 2008

David Janes wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Kevin Smith<kevin at kismith.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Greg Wilson<gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca>  wrote:
>>   >  There's been a fair bit of discussion in the last couple of
>>   >   days on the Python SoC mailing list about how useful it would
>>   >   be to have an XMPP server in Python
>>
>>   Why would having one written in Python in particular be useful to you?
>>
>>   /K
>>

> 1) because many of us work in Python environments and would like to
> continue to do so
> 2) because Python kicks ass and thus there are many Python programmers
> and thus once we get the framework in place is likely to be used and
> extended
> 3) because this is a noticeable deficiency in Python's otherwise
> excellent support of Internet protocols

My personal opinion is that Python lacks any unique features especially
required for XMPP server.
C/C++ has speed. Erlang has monstrous flexibility, reliability, native
threading support, and especially tailored for communications. Perl has
sophisticated string-processing features. Python has none of it. You
like Python (i like it too), but you can't translate everything to Python.
It is not for me to tell you for what exactly Python is good, but it is
not an XMPP Server.
You could have tried creating XMPP client framework on Python, but
Twisted done that already.
That's my IMHO.