[jdev] GSoC: Jingle hack

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Wed Mar 26 11:34:53 CDT 2008

Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd at luon.net> writes:

> Why not use the Telepatmy XMPP client ? :)

Because the thing I enjoy most about writing an XMPP client is being
able to hack new protocols and features along with the UI.  It seems to
me that when writing a Telepathy client I would be restricted to the UI
parts, with a more-or-less lowest-denominator protocol engine to
interface to.

Of course, building a Telepathy client would be a different kind of
pleasure.  Some day I will create telepathy.el…

> But to answer your question, stream-engine works with all Telepathy
> Connection managers. But your client probably doesn't implement
> one. In which case you might want to do your own wrapper around
> farsight or farsight2.

Yes, I figured that.

> But especially with video we've noticed that this is far from an optimal
> design.

How come?  (Is there a record of that discussion?)  In any case,
jabber.el won't be able to do better than that.

--
Magnus
JID: legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se