[jdev] GSoC: Jingle hack

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Mar 27 03:50:46 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 05:34:53PM +0100, Magnus Henoch wrote:
> Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd at luon.net> writes:
>
> > Why not use the Telepatmy XMPP client ? :)
>
> Because the thing I enjoy most about writing an XMPP client is being
> able to hack new protocols and features along with the UI.  It seems to
> me that when writing a Telepathy client I would be restricted to the UI
> parts, with a more-or-less lowest-denominator protocol engine to
> interface to.

Telepathy isn't a lowest-denominator protocol engine. The whole reason it
makes heavy use of D-Bus interfaces is so that you can expose all protocol
specific features you'd like too. But it is true that the standard interfaces
are designed in a way that they're usefull for multiple protocols (otherwise
the framework wouldn't make much sense in the first place). But that doesn't
mean that they're based on the lowest-denominator :)

> Of course, building a Telepathy client would be a different kind of
> pleasure.  Some day I will create telepathy.el???

:)

> > But to answer your question, stream-engine works with all Telepathy
> > Connection managers. But your client probably doesn't implement
> > one. In which case you might want to do your own wrapper around
> > farsight or farsight2.
>
> Yes, I figured that.
>
> > But especially with video we've noticed that this is far from an optimal
> > design.
>
> How come?  (Is there a record of that discussion?)  In any case,
> jabber.el won't be able to do better than that.

The biggest issue is lack of control. Especially if you embed your video
windows in other processes things start to become quite tricky.

  Sjoerd
--
The University of California Statistics Department; where mean is normal,
and deviation standard.