[jdev] Centralized Archival

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Mar 27 05:12:04 CDT 2008

On Thu Mar 27 08:54:17 2008, jehan wrote:
> By the way, about IM logs, I often thought that it would be nice to
> be able to store your chat history on servers. Indeed I often want
> to retrieve some conversation but I am not always on the same
> place, the same computer or simply I use different clients for
> tests (so even on the same computer I get lost to "where" is this
> interesting discussion I had with someone). Sometimes also I have
> to use clients with no log support, or I don't want to store them
> locally though I don't want them lost. In fact, it would be to XMPP
> what IMAP is to the emails and enable to separate the content (chat
> history) from the reader (Jabber client), though they will still
> have to process the data for displaying, search, etc. What do you
> think of this?

Well, there's XEP-0136, which does this within XMPP.

There's also been discussion of handling "advanced" archival and
search by sticking the conversations into an IMAP store, since
searching and managing is something that IMAP does pretty well. (And
it'll improve without us having to do anything particularly special).

My apologies for changing the subject line to something relevant.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/