[jdev] Python/XMPP GSoC proposal

Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Thu Mar 27 18:27:12 CDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 1:29 PM, David Janes wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Greg Wilson
>> <gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>>> There's been a fair bit of discussion in the last couple of
>>>  days on the Python SoC mailing list about how useful it would
>>>  be to have an XMPP server in Python
>>
>>  Why would having one written in Python in particular be useful to
>> you?
>>
>>  /K
>>

> 1) because many of us work in Python environments and would like to
> continue to do so
> 2) because Python kicks ass and thus there are many Python programmers
> and thus once we get the framework in place is likely to be used and
> extended
> 3) because this is a noticeable deficiency in Python's otherwise
> excellent support of Internet protocols

May I suggest that instead of a full server, you implement a XMPP
router instead?

The difference for me is that a XMPP router does not have a session
manager. It only has:

  * S2S: for federation;
  * XEP-0114 and XEP-0225 support.

This would allow anyone to write a component in any language they
want, and the make it available in the XMPP network without having to
run a full server.

This is something that I think does not exist, and that many people
could use.

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo