[jdev] Libpurple-based XMPP connector

Massimiliano Mirra iolgzc102 at sneakemail.com
Sun Mar 30 10:57:26 CDT 2008

>  Every time I think of external XMPP processes/processors, I end up
>  thinking of embedding Lua or TinyScheme to handle XML.  Unfortunately
>  as far as I know neither has an XMPP library.  I'm not sure that would
>  be needed for Jingle, though (or at least for libjingle, see below).
>
>  On another note, that is how a local transport based on something like
>  bitlbee or libpurple might look like.  Bitlbee even works like that
>  already -- too bad it disguises itself as an IRC server instead of an
>  XMPP server, or we'd already have a multi-network cross-platform
>  cross-client local transports. :-)

After writing the above I started playing with the idea in C and Lua.
Lack of an XMPP library wasn't a big issue.  So far it accepts an XML
stream, performs SASL (PLAIN) auth, and logs in to the foreign
network.  I don't expect any major roadblocks.

Massimiliano

--
Massimiliano Mirra
http://sameplace.cc