[jdev] XMPP questions

Ruff, Rob rruff at SCIRES.COM
Tue Feb 14 21:11:56 UTC 2012

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>     __-          __Is a DNS required to use XMPP, in particular for the
>>     server to server connections?  I have played around with using the
>>     hosts file and I can’t seem to get that to work.
>>
>> Formally, yes. If you want to interface with outside XMPP providers such
>> as jabber.org <http://jabber.org> or Google, also yes. In practice, no,
>> but there are some conditions you have to meet. Specifically, in order
>> for server A and B to communicate by S2S, both servers must have host
>> entries for themselves and each other, which exactly match the XMPP
>> domain name each is serving.
>
>The original poster could also run his servers at IP addresses rather
>than fully qualified domain names. In that sense, DNS is not required.

How would I go about doing this? Is this part of the server configuration?

Thanks,
Rob

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email constitutes an electronic communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the named recipient(s) intended by the sender of this message.  This email, and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation.  If you are not a named recipient, any copying, using, disclosing or distributing to others the information in this email and attachments is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts or hard copies of the email and attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).  Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require advance export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer.  In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization.  By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.