[jdev] XEP-0124 : polling meaning

yasuharu.yanamura at nts.ricoh.co.jp yasuharu.yanamura at nts.ricoh.co.jp
Tue Feb 21 02:39:56 UTC 2012

Thanks.

I understood what polling means.
If I don't do the 'polling', can I ignore 'polling' attribute of session
creation response ?

But in Overactivity section,  It seems that client needs to watch 'polling'
attribute to avoid overactivity.

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#overactive
Quote:
If during any period the client sends a sequence of new requests equal in
length to the number specified by the 'requests' attribute, and if the
connection manager has not yet responded to any of the  requests, and if
the last request was empty and did not include either a 'pause' attribute
or a 'type' attribute set to "terminate", and if the last two requests
arrived within a period shorter than the number of seconds specified by the
'polling' attribute in the session creation response, then the connection
manager SHOULD consider that the client is making requests more frequently
than it was permitted and terminate the HTTP session and return a
'policy-violation' terminal binding error to the client. Note: the behavior
for Polling Sessions is slightly different.