[jdev] Resource Binding Means End of Stream Negotiation?

Kai-Chung Yan (殷啟聰) seamlikok at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:34:06 UTC 2017

Dear XMPP community,

I am implementing (yet another) XMPP client library and found something confusing in RFC 6120: XMPP Core.

Section 4.3.5 states that the receiving party sends either an empty <features/> element or one containing only optional features in order to indicate the completion of a stream negotiation. In fact, I believe the receiving party should send a <features/> element immediately after negotiating every single feature.

However my client stuck after finishing Resource Binding and both parties are waiting for further XML data. After I changed the behavior to assume that Resource Binding indicates end of stream negotiation, everything works perfectly I can start exchanging stanzas.

Does that indicate that Resource Binding means the end of a stream negotiation? I fail to find such policy in RFC 6120 or its errata.

Best regards,
Kai-Chung Yan