[jdev] Resource Binding Means End of Stream Negotiation?

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Tue Aug 22 13:36:56 UTC 2017

On 22 Aug 2017, at 14:05, 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan <seamlikok at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried with Prosody 0.9.12 today and found that it has the same behavior as ejabberd. I guess that "Resource Binding indicating stream negotiation" has been a consensus among developers. I personally do not think this is good, because clients who strictly comply with RFC 6120 will have trouble talking to the rest of the world.

I think in this case 4.3.5 is somewhat misleading, here (maybe it’s an artefact of trying to support clients that don’t resource bind). For the full flow, see 9.1.3 and 9.1.4, where it’s explicit that after resource binding (and without sending stream features), "Now the client is allowed to send XML stanzas over the negotiated stream."

So yes, you shouldn’t expect stream features after a resource bind, at that point you’re done and can start Doing Stuff.

/K