[Jingle] SRTP

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Wed Jul 23 02:34:40 CDT 2008

23 jul 2008 kl. 03.18 skrev Robert McQueen:

> (note that some kind of E2E encryption is necessary for exchanging an
> SRTP key in your signalling to be meaningful, but we hope that working
> stream transports/fallbacks in Jingle will enable TLS encrypted peer
> peer XMPP streams to be negotiated with Jingle)

There is a huge difference between TLS in XMPP, which is hop to hop
protection,
and end-to-end security. I want to emphasize the peer2peer part of
your statement
here :-)

I am not fully sure, but I think that there are modes of the MIKEY key
exchange
used for SRTP key exchange in SIP/SDP that doesn't require E2E
protection.
They may rely on pre-shared keys though.

Check RFC 4567 "Key Management Extensions for Session Description
Protocol (SDP) and Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)" and
RFC3830. Both are, well, not judged as easy-reading material. :-)

/O