[Jingle] XEP-0181: Jingle DTMF

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Jul 27 20:28:27 CDT 2008

Robert McQueen wrote:

> There was apparently some very compelling reason for having the DTMF
> sent separately in the XMPP, but nobody I've spoken to here at the
> summit can remember what it is[1]. If you know what this reason is,
> please speak up, otherwise my recommendation is we just drop the entire
> XEP-0181 and replace it with a recommendation in XEP-0167 that DTMF is
> sent by telephony events as specified in RFC 4733.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>
> [1]: If it involves not using RTP, I don't think we care. Something
> which puts a non-RTP call over Jingle and wants to do DTMF can define
> its own session info events. Any meaningful interoperability with Jingle
> RTP clients is obviously completely dead in that case, so the inevitable
> gateway could just convert RFC 4733 stuff into whatever the non-RTP
> thing used, but whoever deviates from the norm gets to do the extra work.

As Diana points out, RFCs 2833/4733 are RTP-specific. If in Jingle we
use transports other than RTP, we might want to define a method for
sending DTMF in the signalling channel. I agree that we could do that as
session-info messages, but that's what XEP-0181 defines. (!) So perhaps
it makes sense to let this gently lapse into deferred until someone
needs it?

/psa