[Jingle] XEP-0177 : oops

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Jul 27 22:05:52 CDT 2008

Jeff Williams wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> The XEP-0177 example 5 & 6 don't validate given the existing
> namespaces.  These are the examples from the spec that cover the case
> that Detlev wants clarified.  The XML document validator returns
> "Invalid content was found starting with element 'trying'.

Right, because the core Jingle schema doesn't include something like
this for the <jingle/> element:

<xs:any namespace='##other' minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='unbounded'/>

> If you open the example and XSD files you'll see that I marked where
> they don't pass validation.  (Look for "spec-error".)  Most of the time
> it's just typos or missing (implied) pieces.  In this case of these
> examples the namespace is not quite right.

In general I think the problem is that the ability to include any
element qualified by any namespace is implicit throughout XMPP. If we
included <xs:any namespace='##other'/> everywhere it's possible, our
schemas would be much longer and more confusing.

> Also, do you have a position on having exactly one top-level element in
> each XSD/namespace (with top-level complexType defining types from that
> name namespace.)  This way we force valid documents to adhere to the
> structure implied in the examples.

That is the desired outcome. I'll need to clean up all the schemas along
those lines. Big job.

> As XEP-0166 stands the following XML
> document is well-formed and valid:
>
>     <!-- XEP-0166 example 1 -->
>     <iq from="kingclaudius at shakespeare.lit/castle" id="jingle1"
> to="laertes at shakespeare.lit/castle" type="set">
>         <content xmlns="urn:xmpp:tmp:jingle" creator="initiator"
> name="JMF"></content>
>     </iq>

Yeah that's not what we want. :/

/psa