[Jingle] XEP-0177 : What is the "received" informational message for ?

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 05:40:44 CDT 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008 04:26:17 Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Detlev Casanova wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a problem with the Raw UDP transport method.
> > It concerns the case when I have multiple contents using raw-udp
> > transport method.
> > When an entity sends me a received informational message, how can I find
> > out for which content this message is ?
>
> Does it matter? I mean: if you have a raw UDP "connection" open, won't
> most/all communications succeed?

No, because a port could be blocked. If you want to send five contents on
ports 9000, 9002, 9004, 9006 and 9008 but the port 9004 is already in use by
another application and 9008 is blocked by a firewall, the connection won't
be established for those ports but will be for the 3 others.

Now, if I understand this XEP is there for testing purpose and will actually
never be used in real life as ICE-UDP can established a RAW UDP stream if it
is possible.

> > Also, when I receive data, I SHOULD send this message, if one entity does
> > not send the message, how do I know when I can send the session-accept
> > action ?
>
> I think we need to change SHOULD to MUST.
>
> > I was thinking of establishing the connection for each content
> > individually and send a session terminate if one of the contents cannot
> > be established after 30 seconds (for example) but as the received message
> > SHOULD be sent, the connection could be established and I don't know
> > about it.
>
> /psa

Cheers,

Detlev Casanova.