[Jingle] STUN/ICE and media relay queries

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jul 31 08:45:49 CDT 2008

Jeff Muller wrote:
> "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote in message
> news:4890C6FC.1040505 at stpeter.im...
>> Jeff Muller wrote:
>>> So is JingleInfo purely a Google Talk thing? Does "everybody else"
>>> use SRV lookup to discover STUN and media relay servers? Are the
>>> media relay server entries a "standard" in the SRV lookup (in other
>>> words, how do I know that servers in the lookup are specifically
>>> relay servers for RTP media)?
>>>
>>> I don't really know anything about SRV lookups, so would just
>>> appreciate any info in this area, related to the question.
>>
>> We started out standardizing that but it morphed into a generalized
>> way to discover services external to XMPP:
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0215.html
>>
>> /psa
>>
> So why is this method only to be used as a fallback? Why not just
> encourage the usage of the XEP as the primary means. This would simplify
> things for clients, and let the server folks worry about things like SRV?

Why? Because SRV is defined as the primary way to discover STUN and
TURN/relay servers (see RFC 3489 and also rfc3489bis, just approved for
publication), just as it is for XMPP servers. Typically a Jingle client
will incorporate a STUN library that performs SRV lookups, and if
service operators want end users to have a good experience they will
define the proper SRV records. However, it's helpful to have fallback
methods in case clients don't support SRV lookups or service operators
haven't defined SRV records, thus JingleInfo and XEP-0215.

/psa