[Jingle] momentum

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 13 18:32:24 CST 2008

I just submitted a proposal to give a talk at FOSDEM about Jingle. We
have a lot of momentum right now with all the development efforts going
on (Pidgin, Kopete, Yate, Psi, Pandion, Gajim, SIP Communicator,
Empath/Telepathy, etc.) and the FSF's mention of Jingle in its call for
a free and open alternative to Skype. [1] So I wonder if perhaps we can
make a big push for Jingle support in a bunch of clients by the time of
FOSDEM (early February). Not necessarily releases (I don't want to tell
you guys when to release new versions of your software!), but strong
progress in these clients so that we can publish a list of software that
has working Jingle support or has pledged to have such support (perhaps
by end of 2009 or before FOSDEM 2010 or something like that). I think
this could be a powerful thing to announce at FOSDEM. We could even have
one representative from each project up on stage to emphasize the point
that we have a whole bunch of people and projects on board to make this
happen!

What do you think?

Peter

[1] http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority.html#skypereplacement