[Jingle] rtpbridge

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 20 17:26:39 CST 2008

Jeff Muller wrote:
> Does anybody have any better description on how to use rptbridge service
> (from the client side) than can be found at
> http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/Wildfire+Media+Proxy ?
>
> In addition to documentation of the semantics of attributes like "sid",
> it would also be nice to know what "portb" in the <candidate/> tag is
> for. Also, it's not exactly clear how to use the <relay/> request. what
> are "hosta", "hostb", "porta", and "portb"?
>
> Finally, how does this exactly fit into the jingle <candidate/> messages?
>
> Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

IIRC, this rtpbridge was a non-standard, XMPP-aware NAT traversal and
media relaying solution developed by the folks at Jive to get around the
need for deploying STUN and TURN servers and then using ICE during the
transport negotiation (since the Jive developers thought that support
for STUN, TURN, and ICE would not be commonly available anytime soon).
In Jingle itself we decided not to go down that road, since we'd prefer
to use existing standards for NAT traversal and media relays.

/psa