[Jingle] libjingle in Python

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 09:49:22 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:37:12PM +0100, kael wrote:
> Sjoerd Simons wrote, On 11/13/2008 02:14 PM:
>> For mingle[0] we've written, among other things, a simple jingle client using
>> twisted, farsight2[1] and nice[2]. I wouldn't call the code production quality
>> by far (it's mainly for testing purposes), but it should provide a good start
>> for those kind of things. And ofcourse feedback/patches are always welcome :)
>>
>> The code is available in on git.collabora.co.uk[3]
>
> Thank you very much for having made me discover Mingle.
>
> After having solved a gtk-doc dependency issue for compilation and set
> the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH for Farsight, I've launched jingle-gui.py
> and a GUI's appeared, but not sure of what to do then.

The GUI doesn't actually implement calling yet :) To use it, use do
jingle-call.py <jid> <password> to wait for incoming calls or jingle-call.py

>> Farsight2 handles all the streaming issues for you. So the only thing your
>> python code needs to do is the actual jingle signalling.
>
> This sounds awesome. I had some look at the code, there is a lot to
> learn from it and it looks much more easier than I would have imagined.
>
> Now I need to dive into documentation regarding gstreamer,
> python-gstreamer and Farsight APIs, and also RTP, ICE and Jingle.
>
> BTW, wondering, which XEP are or could be implemented with Farsight ?

Farsight takes care of the actual media streaming layer. Currently it can do
both rawudp and ICE (including compatibility modes for some older ICE drafts
and Google Talk).  So using farsight you can currently implement jingle
(XEP-0166) with XEP-0167 (Jingle RTP sessions) using either  XEP-0177 (Jingle
Raw UDP Transport Method) or XEP-0176 (Jingle ICE-UDP Transport Method) as
transports. Apart from that you can also implement the dialects GTalk and
Google video chat use.

  Sjoerd
--
The bigger the theory the better.