[Jingle] rtpbridge

Jeff Williams jeffw at gadgetworks.com
Mon Nov 24 12:14:54 CST 2008

STUN == P-to-P  socket *discovery*
RTPBridge == P-S-P bridged socket *connections*

RTPBridge is orthogonal to STUN.  You use one or the other.  RTPBridge
is something cooked up (outside of standards bodies) by the Ignite
guys to address the cases where STUN doesn't work for the simple
reason that you cannot reach a client port behind a NAT because it's
prohibited by router policy.  While a cool idea, it's unlikely to ever
get any traction for the reason that no SA is going to want their IM
server to carry the RTP streams for 2x ends of their entire user
community and their buddies.  (Plus if the XMPP community was going
this way it would probably look to TURN, and then only as a last,
desperate measure for any single P2P connection.)

In the Ignite world of products you have clients based on a Java
library called Smack.  Then Ignite has a separate server product
called OpenFire.  Your Smack-based client has to *invoke* client-side
RTPBridge as its stream/transport mechanism.  The fact that you're
using LibJingle pretty much means you have 0% chance of making this
work unless you implement RTPBridge in LibJingle.  Then if you do the
only server that will support it is OpenFire, and then only if it's
enable/configured.

STUN really is the way to go.  It's an imperfect solution, but it's
the work of a group that spans many different projects that all would
like to discover a client's socket behind a NAT firewall.  NAT
traversal *seems* like an easy problem on its face, but the nuances of
global network topology and router policy make it really tough.  And
there are some cases where you simply cannot connect to a client
socket behind a NAT unless someone makes a router policy change.  I
have no clue about the state of STUN support in LibJingle.

Welcome to our world!  :-)

Jeff