[Jingle] XEP for stream protocols

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 19:28:59 CDT 2008

Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Let me understand it right. Simply speaking Telepathy's Tubes are a
> way to connect local Dbus applications to other machines in the LAN
> and even on the Internet. This idea his very similar to something I'm
> working on except that I don't plan to use Dbus for application
> specific communication and want to use XEPs for that, too. We really
> should work together on how to let applications interact with
> eachother on the internet.

Yes, that's right. My current thought is that we should have a Jingle
XEP content description which says "this stream protocol is in use", and
refer to it by its DNS-SD service name. We can also define a mapping
between the DNS-SD extra parameters and the Jingle offer.

We'd then be able to signal a Jingle session to have our streams sent
over a raw TCP transport, SOCKS5 or IBB, or when we have code/XEPs for
it we can also make use of a reliability layer on top of ICE-UDP. We can
say that the offerer is the listener, and the responder can establish as
many connections over the stream as he wishes while the session is open.
This will allow protocols like HTTP or DAAP where the client can connect
multiple times to the server to be used.

Also we could define something to include in XEP-0115 entity
capabilities to list the DNS-SD protocols you're able to take part in,
such as:
<feature var="jingle:yada:stream#vnc"/>
<feature var="jingle:yada:stream#http"/>

> Regards,
>
> Dirk

Regards,
Rob