[Jingle] XEP-0181: Jingle DTMF

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 19:51:20 CDT 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> [1]: If it involves not using RTP, I don't think we care. Something
>> which puts a non-RTP call over Jingle and wants to do DTMF can define
>> its own session info events. Any meaningful interoperability with Jingle
>> RTP clients is obviously completely dead in that case, so the inevitable
>> gateway could just convert RFC 4733 stuff into whatever the non-RTP
>> thing used, but whoever deviates from the norm gets to do the extra work.
>
> As Diana points out, RFCs 2833/4733 are RTP-specific. If in Jingle we
> use transports other than RTP, we might want to define a method for
> sending DTMF in the signalling channel. I agree that we could do that as
> session-info messages, but that's what XEP-0181 defines. (!) So perhaps
> it makes sense to let this gently lapse into deferred until someone
> needs it?

I still think it's best to make it very lapsed, because having two ways
to do it when RTP /is/ in use is pretty harmful I think. I think we
should put XEP-0181 on ice and instead just make it a MUST in the RTP
XEP that if you're doing DTMF, you use the RFC 4733 stuff. If we do fins
a stunningly important non-RTP content description that still needs us
to do gatewaying to PSTN and send DTMFs, we can cross that bridge when
we get to it. :)

> /psa

Regards,
Rob