[Jingle] XEP-0176 - putting many candidates in initiate/accept

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Tue Apr 7 19:34:18 CDT 2009

There was a recent change to suggest putting all of your candidates in
initiate/accept.  Peter says this was to help simplify the state machine.
However, transport-info is still in the XEP and expected to be supported, so
I don't see how this resulted in any simplification.  I just wanted to point
out that if anyone is planning to write a client that doesn't understand
transport-info (/me looks at whoever suggested this change), compatibility
will be lost.

There seems to be a way to indicate that you prefer all candidates in the
initiate/accept: the urn:ietf:rfc:3264 feature, originally intended for SIP
gateways.  I suggest simple clients advertise that feature too, then, and
when interacting with a client that supports it you MUST send all candidates
in one pass and never use transport-info (instead of the "SHOULD" wording,
which may imply that it cannot be relied on).

-Justin