[Jingle] XEP-0176 - how to find STUN/TURN servers

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Apr 7 20:05:26 CDT 2009

On 4/7/09 6:38 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> Section 9 mentions STUN/TURN, but does not suggest how a client may discover
> these services through the XMPP server.  In particular, TURN servers may
> require credentials and the client will need to know what they are.

There are defined methods for discovering STUN/TURN servers using DNS
SRV records.

> Even XEP-0065 has a way to locate a relay service, through disco.

That's because a SOCKS5 Bytestreams proxy communicates over XMPP.

> I think we
> need a similar approach in XEP-0176 before we can consider it ready.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. The method we've defined so far is
XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery), which is semantically the same as
the method used in Google Talk (jingle-info or whatever they call it).
An alternative approach would be to XMPP-enable a TURN server so that
you could communicate with it over XMPP, just as you do for a SOCKS5
Bytestreams proxy. However, that would require a customized TURN server.
But I suppose you could argue that XEP-0215 would require a customized
TURN server, too. I think this is an open issue -- not for XEP-0176 but
for Jingle in general.