[Jingle] XEP-0176 - how to find STUN/TURN servers

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Tue Apr 7 22:10:35 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 18:05:26 Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 4/7/09 6:38 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > Section 9 mentions STUN/TURN, but does not suggest how a client may
> > discover these services through the XMPP server.  In particular, TURN
> > servers may require credentials and the client will need to know what
> > they are.
>
> There are defined methods for discovering STUN/TURN servers using DNS
> SRV records.

This could be fine, but we still need to specify what domain to do the lookups
from (the @domain part of the jid, probably).

However, we'd want an additional discovery protocol over XMPP to get the
username/password of the TURN server.

> Yes, I've been thinking about that. The method we've defined so far is
> XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery), which is semantically the same as
> the method used in Google Talk (jingle-info or whatever they call it).

Well there we go. :)  I didn't even know this XEP existed.  How about a
reference from section 9 in XEP-176?

> But I suppose you could argue that XEP-0215 would require a customized
> TURN server, too.

Maybe.  I'm sure you could get by pretty well with somewhat static
credentials.  When an XMPP account is made, create a TURN account also, and
ensure that both the TURN service and the XMPP service know the TURN
username/password.

> I think this is an open issue -- not for XEP-0176 but for Jingle in general.

Does any part of Jingle besides XEP-176 use STUN/TURN?

-Justin