[Jingle] XEP-0176 - how to find STUN/TURN servers

Unnikrishnan V ukv1977 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:20:06 CDT 2009

2009/4/7 Olivier Crête <olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk>:
> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 20:10 -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
>> >
>> > There are defined methods for discovering STUN/TURN servers using DNS
>> > SRV records.
>>
>> This could be fine, but we still need to specify what domain to do the lookups
>> from (the @domain part of the jid, probably).
>>
>> However, we'd want an additional discovery protocol over XMPP to get the
>> username/password of the TURN server.
>
> Or we could just default to having the TURN user/pass be the same as the
> XMPP one...

I am not sure why we are thinking of username and password, it should
be supplied by the user, XEP 215 is only a fall back mechanism when
the standards DNS srv wont work (ex: behind certain corporate  proxy
where DNS is blocked ). Username and passwords are user specific and
should not be given by server except some guest usernames if needed -
that too given by admin . The standard Stun/Turn locating mechanisms
don't offer username and password ( ex: dns srv )

thanx
unni