[Jingle] XEP-0176 - how to find STUN/TURN servers

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Wed Apr 8 12:43:28 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 09:42:13 Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Agreed. But it's also good not to require custom TURN servers (or, if
> you want to be generic, media relays) if we can use off-the-shelf
> components. TURN already has methods for requesting credentials.

Right.  A client can have configuration for a TURN server, username, and
password, which would work as an off-the-shelf solution.

Discovery of the TURN server could be automatic through DNS, though I'm not
sure if it makes sense to have always-automatic server discovery while
username and password must still be manually configured.

> You could register with TURN servers / media relays on the network and use
> those only after registering (where a media relay might be a friend's
> computer, as we discussed in Brussels).

Interesting.

It sounds like the use-cases we desire are:
  1) Ability for an XMPP server to advertise its own TURN service to an XMPP
account, complete with the necessary credentials to access it.
  2) Ability to use TURN through other XMPP entities, authenticating as your
own JID.

-Justin