[Jingle] XEP-0176 - how to find STUN/TURN servers

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 8 15:39:46 CDT 2009

On 4/7/09 9:11 PM, Unnikrishnan V wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> On 4/7/09 6:38 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
>>> Section 9 mentions STUN/TURN, but does not suggest how a client may discover
>>> these services through the XMPP server.  In particular, TURN servers may
>>> require credentials and the client will need to know what they are.
>> There are defined methods for discovering STUN/TURN servers using DNS
>> SRV records.
>>
>>> Even XEP-0065 has a way to locate a relay service, through disco.
>> That's because a SOCKS5 Bytestreams proxy communicates over XMPP.
>>
>>> I think we
>>> need a similar approach in XEP-0176 before we can consider it ready.
>> Yes, I've been thinking about that. The method we've defined so far is
>> XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery), which is semantically the same as
>> the method used in Google Talk (jingle-info or whatever they call it).
>> An alternative approach would be to XMPP-enable a TURN server so that
>> you could communicate with it over XMPP, just as you do for a SOCKS5
>> Bytestreams proxy. However, that would require a customized TURN server.
>> But I suppose you could argue that XEP-0215 would require a customized
>> TURN server, too. I think this is an open issue -- not for XEP-0176 but
>> for Jingle in general.
>>

> It can use a standard Turn server and a server-side component for XMPP
> server ( may be using http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0114.html or
> internal approach depending on what the server support)  for
> XEP-0215).
>
> the other way is to integrate external server side component for XEP
> 215 with turn server.

I think you're right. How the XMPP server gets the information that it
provides via XEP-0215 is up to the implementation / deployment. (For
integration with a TURN server it might communicate via TURN itself,
some internal API, etc.) This doesn't require that a TURN server or
generic media relay needs to support XMPP. However if we want that, we
could defined it in another spec.