[Jingle] XEP-0176 - putting many candidates in initiate/accept

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 17:21:19 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 15:16 -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 April 2009 15:04:30 Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > On 4/7/09 6:34 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > > Peter says this was to help simplify the state machine.
> > > However, transport-info is still in the XEP and expected to be supported,
> > > so I don't see how this resulted in any simplification.  I just wanted to
> > > point out that if anyone is planning to write a client that doesn't
> > > understand transport-info (/me looks at whoever suggested this change),
> > > compatibility will be lost.
> >
> > Clients need to support transport-info. If they don't, we'll file bug
> > reports. :)
>
> Good.  But, then I don't fully understand the rationale for putting candidates
> in initiate/accept and therefore having two ways to do the same thing.

My understanding of SIP is that you need all the candidates before you
send an offer or a response. With the current transport-info, I'm not
sure how that can happen? Forcing all the candidates into the
initiate/accept solves that, I'm not sure how it can be done if
transport-info is used.

Maybe the SIP gateway people can enlighten us?

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Collabora Ltd