[Jingle] open issue: removing candidates

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Tue May 12 01:32:05 CDT 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009 22:23:19 Justin Uberti wrote:
> Removal of candidates is unnecessary. The client that offered the candidate
> can simply stop using it, at which point connectivity will no longer exist,
> and ICE will force the use of a different candidate.
> The generation attribute is used for when ICE connectivity fails on all
> candidates, and a new set of candidates is needed. In this the client
> allocates a new set of candidates, and the candidates from the older
> generation are to be discarded upon receipt of a candidate from a newer
> generation. This would be useful in the case mentioned above where you get
> a new IP while the call is active.

It sounds like the sole purpose of the generation attribute is to remove old
candidates.  However, at the start of your message you say, "removal of
candidates is unnecessary."  Did you mean to say that having a mechanism to
remove candidates individually or one-by-one is unnecessary, because we
already have a way to remove candidates en masse?