[Jingle] Call forking

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 23:19:16 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 21:48 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 10/8/09 3:38 PM, Olivier Crête wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If a contact I'm trying to call has multiple online resources. I want to
> > call it, currently Gabble, our XMPP implementation, just picks one more
> > or less randomly and tries to call it.
>
> Randomly? Without first determining which resources support Jingle?

Well, randomly between all the resources that support jingle, but for
the end user, it seems pretty random. If my mom has a N900 and any user
friendly XMPP client (like Google Talk), she has no idea what these
priority things are.

> > I think the right approach is to
> > do something like SIP forking, that is, try to call both and when one
> > answers, cancel the other calls.
>
> And how well has forking worked out? Most SIP experts I've talked with
> have said "avoid forking in Jingle if you possibly can".

I'm not advocating doing forking, just calling all the possible
resources. But yes, it is a bit like forking, without the madness (since
the caller would  really be doing separate calls).

> > The problem is that the non-answering
> > resources will see it as a missed call. Maybe we should add a
> > "answered-somewhere-else" reason for that case. Or is it what "cancel"
> > or "success" are for ?
>
> That's one possibility. Another is XEP-0168, although people don't seem
> to like that approach.

Priority seems like a crap idea because it forces user configuration and
doesn't solve the problem of having multiple hardware devices with the
same account.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk