[Jingle] Negotiating a RTP profile in XEP-0167

Justin Uberti juberti at google.com
Thu Oct 15 18:38:17 CDT 2009

2009/10/15 Olivier Crête <olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk>

> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 14:17 -0700, Justin Uberti wrote:
> >  So, how should one signal the use of a different profile, e.g.
> > RTP/AVPF? Does a profile= attribute make sense here?
>
> Jingle already has a different way to signal SRTP instead of using
> profiles. Maybe we want to do the same thing for AVPF? And we probably
> want this to be in the caps so it can be discoverable. Also, with AVPF
> we also want to signal the type of supported feedback with a=rtcp-fb. So
> if we want to support it in jingle, I guess we can either add it to the
> RTP xep or have another XEP to specify the XMPP way of getting that
> information.

Sure, although I don't want to have to invent something new every time a new
profile is needed (don't forget SAVPF too!)

Probably easiest to have it in a followup to XEP-0167.

> I'm not familiar with all the details of AVPF, but I believe that it is
> mostly additive to AVP (ie, its mostly how RTCP is sent and processed).

Yes, exactly. We use AVPF and only recently did we encounter a situation
where there was an issue with specifying AVP instead of AVPF.