[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 14:38:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 13:33 +0200, thiagoc wrote:
> In short, Coin is definitely interesting for the following reasons:
> * Does NOT require MUC support on client nor server
> * It includes server side mixing, which might be required for most
> conferences with more than 3 participants
> * For mobile world, client side mixing and multiple streams handling
> is out of question
> * Matches current real life requirements
> * It is easy to implement, that speeds up adoption

You can achieve all of these without coin.. You can just have a
"special" conf call number that everyone calls and does a conf call.
This is trivial to do with Freeswitch, Asterisk, etc.. And this is the
way the SIP world works (also the PSTN world).

I understand that at the XMPP Summit in Brusssels (that I didn't
attend), there was a wide consensus that Coin was the wrong approach for
XMPP.

It is definitely possible to cleanly use MUCs and have server-side
mixing if you want more features in your conference.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Collabora Ltd