[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Tue Apr 12 14:52:50 UTC 2011

Hey,

На 12.04.11 17:38, Olivier Crête написа:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 13:33 +0200, thiagoc wrote:
>> In short, Coin is definitely interesting for the following reasons:
>> * Does NOT require MUC support on client nor server
>> * It includes server side mixing, which might be required for most
>> conferences with more than 3 participants
>> * For mobile world, client side mixing and multiple streams handling
>> is out of question
>> * Matches current real life requirements
>> * It is easy to implement, that speeds up adoption
>
> You can achieve all of these without coin.. You can just have a
> "special" conf call number that everyone calls and does a conf call.
> This is trivial to do with Freeswitch, Asterisk, etc.. And this is the
> way the SIP world works (also the PSTN world).

The "special" conf call number doesn't tell you who else is on the call
and what their status is. This is why the SIP world invented RFC 4575.

> I understand that at the XMPP Summit in Brusssels (that I didn't
> attend), there was a wide consensus that Coin was the wrong approach for
> XMPP.

That's quite overstated. There was an ad-hoc meeting with several
participants that did indeed express reluctance but I wouldn't call this
wide consensus.

There were few discussions on the presentation that happened in the
devroom on the following day.

> It is definitely possible to cleanly use MUCs and have server-side
> mixing if you want more features in your conference.

Of course it is, and we have already mentioned how Coin could be easily
used as a bridge between MUJI and tightly coupled conferences.

Cheers,
Emil