[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Wed Apr 13 11:37:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

First, sorry for breaking the discussion thread, I wasn't subscribed
with this email address before.

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 13:33 +0200, thiagoc wrote:
 > In short, Coin is definitely interesting for the following reasons:
 > * Does NOT require MUC support on client nor server
 > * It includes server side mixing, which might be required for most
 > conferences with more than 3 participants
 > * For mobile world, client side mixing and multiple streams handling
 > is out of question
 > * Matches current real life requirements
 > * It is easy to implement, that speeds up adoption

Full disclosure: My knowledge in this area is mainly due to my SIP
background, and I enjoyed a nice discussion with Emil Ivov at FOSDEM
about this, so I'll throw my 2 cents.

Having implemented a conferencing server with RFC4575 support (using
SIP, but anyway) Coin makes more sense to me and I do agree with all
points Thiago mentioned above:

- Needing cooperation from the client side is a bad idea, people with
the cheapest Jingle client should be able to join the conference, though
it may not be able to experience shiny features like RFC4575.

- Server side mixing might be a problem for some (what if the server
fails...) but I think we have more to gain by doing it in the server:
bandwidth and resources being the main reasons here. Not sure if this
can be applied to XMPP, but in SIP we have the concept of 'cascading
focus', that is, a conference server may join another conference server
and all the data is aggregated by both, so participants see a full
RFC4575 payload with the aggregated information of both servers. The
number of servers may grow arbitrarily, so the load can be balanced and
if a server fails only some participants will be dropped. Doing it
server side also allows for stuff like scheduled conferences, for example.

- Interoperability with SIP: Being a SIP guy Coin made a lot of sense to
me since it reuses existing standards to achieve same purpose in the
XMPP world. Moreover, we plan to add XMPP gateway support, so being so
symmetric with Coin things would just match and conferencing between
XMPP and SIP mixed together would be far easier to implement IMHO.

That's my 2 cents.

Kind regards,

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé