[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Apr 19 17:55:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 04/19/2011 07:26 PM, Diana Cionoiu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will start by saying that jingle != SIP.
> Coin it's a nice proposal if you have a SIP client not if you have a
> Jingle client. Muji it's a nice proposal if you are doing a Jingle only
> conference without any connection with a system that has a different
> protocol.

Could you please elaborate on this? Why is Coin not a nice proposal for
a Jingle client?

> Each of them have their merits and his crowd of supporters.

Sure!

> But we don't live in a SIP only or Jingle only world.
>
> We need a protocol for the Muji crowd which want the mixing to be done
> in the client side and we need a protocol for the Coin crowd that want
> the mixing to be done in focus. I'm not a fan of ending up implementing
> both of them.
>
> So my proposal it's different. We need a protocol that will do the
> following.
>
> 1. We need a protocol for audio conference, video conference, remote
> desktop (one computer shares his desktop and the others are seeing it),
> file transfer (like when you want several clients to have access to the
> same file)
> 2. We need a protocol that handles all situations:
> - each client has his own mixer
> - one of the clients does the mixing for all the other clients.
> - there is one mixer on the conference server (how the conference server
> handles different nodes it's his implementation and i don't think is
> within the scope of a xep)
> 3. We need a protocol capable to handle the entire management of a
> conference. Like, muting everyone and let just 3 moderators to speak.
> 4. We need a real "simple" (sorry i couldn't help it) protocol, that
> will not be the ultimate challenge to implement.

I think that all those points are way too much to call it a protocol. I
also don't expect a mobile phone to implement a fully capable focus, but
it should be able to join a conference. How would you handle this?

Implementing two protocols would be a pain, but I don't see how they can
be combined, they seem pretty orthogonal to me.

Regards,

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects