[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Tue Apr 19 18:54:39 UTC 2011

Hey Diana,

На 19.04.11 21:23, Diana Cionoiu написа:
>> Could you please elaborate on this? Why is Coin not a nice proposal
>> for a Jingle client?
>
> Because Jingle in the first place it's a IM protocol. That part is now
> covered by Muji.

I am not sure I understand this.

>> I think that all those points are way too much to call it a protocol.
>> I also don't expect a mobile phone to implement a fully capable focus,
>> but it should be able to join a conference. How would you handle this?
>>
> I don't expect either for a mobile phone to implement a full capable
> focus. But that doesn't mean that aren't jabber clients desktop based
> like GTalk which can do it. The real question is to make a protocol that
> handles both worlds the desktop and the mobiles.
> The fact is that a company like Google or Yahoo or Skype will dislike to
> have a focus (focus = audio/video mixer) on their servers because of the
> bandwidth costs. And we like it or not those are a far larger amount of
> users than the business users which can afford to pay for the bandwidth.

There seems to be some confusion here: Coin implementations are in no
way limited to dedicated servers. The Jitsi implementation for example
is capable of acting as both a focus/mixer or as a simple participant.

One of the main advantages of Coin is that it sets no constraints on the
infrastructure.

Cheers,
Emil