[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Diana Cionoiu diana-liste at null.ro
Thu Apr 28 20:13:33 UTC 2011

Hello Enrico,

The question here is "Which problem is COIN trying to solve?"
The answer I believe it is "It's trying to make a conference".

Now his purpose it's to control the conference. But Jabber already has a
model for conference which it's based on MUC. That's the Jabber way to
split things in such a way that it can be implemented in layers. So the
negociation shouldn't be done by the client. That should be done by the MUC.

In SIP you can compare the SIP proxys with the Jabber servers. But in
SIP there is no concept for an external component as MUC.
That's why the COIN is considered sipish and it's such a strong opinion
about it.

My personal opinion is that clients if they want to do management of a
conference they can do it using iq based commands for MUC as for any
other conference.

I know that most SIP developers will consider that a far too complicated
way. But sometimes an additional layer it's necessary for keeping the
long term implementation clean.

Regards,
Diana