[Jingle] Opinions about Coin

Enrico Marocco enrico.marocco at telecomitalia.it
Fri Apr 29 10:12:06 UTC 2011

Architectural arguments aside, it seems to me that there is a
fundamental misunderstanding about the use case a bunch of people here
seem to be interested in and find a Coin-like approach suitable for. The
use case is pretty simple: a user agent initiates or accepts a Jingle
call that in fact is (or at some point scales to) a mixed conference
call. Your iPhone, Android and most likely also your old-fashioned
desktop phone allows you to do that today by means of n-way PSTN calls,
so it seems a reasonable assumption in the Jingle case not to require
any specific feature other than basic call capability. Now, the
extension being discussed here is simply aimed at conveying additional
information about the participants in such kind of mixed calls to user
agents that understand it, yet allowing plain Jingle ones to
participating in media only.

Muji, nor any reasonably foreseeable extension of it, seem to cover such
a use case. Coin is the simplest approach its proponents could figure
out for such a simple task. If you spot any technical issue, any
potential improvement or can suggest a better approach, that would be an
excellent basis for discussion. I am certainly not religious about
protocol syntax, least about 4575.

The arguments I've been hearing so far seem to be not about how Coin is
bad as much as about how XMPP is wrong for such a simple use case. Is
this really what we are talking about?

Enrico