[Jingle] Jingle for multiparty sessions

Peter Thatcher pthatcher at google.com
Sat Jul 2 16:57:53 UTC 2011

We're committed to making sure our protocols for multi-user video chat
are open.  I'm working on the documentation right now and hope to
publish it soon.  We already have an open source implementation for
clients in libjingle: code.google.com/p/libjingle.

It's standards-based, basically MUC (XEP-0045)  + Jingle (XEP-0166 +
XEP-0167) + ICE + RTP.  It's a server-based model where all media is
multiplexed through a server (the MUC, basically).  We've also added a
few Jingle session-info messages to signal particular RTP streams
within a given Jingle content, but it's a fairly minimal change.
Again, we'll be publishing it soon.

I can't comment on other services, but in Muji "Jingle sessions are
initiated between the MUC JIDs of participants. That is, the Jingle
session-initiate stanza is sent from one MUC JID to another."  I don't
see how that could possibly scale to 10 participants;  it would
require 100 jingle sessions.

Hope that helps,
Peter Thatcher