[Jingle] Understanding jingle handshakes.

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jul 18 22:41:09 UTC 2011

On 7/13/11 11:42 AM, Tester Prakash wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been going through the jingle xep-0166 and had a bunch of
> questions about the state transitions involved.

It seems that you're actually talking about RTP sessions (XEP-0167),
perhaps in combination with ICE-UDP (XEP-0176). Correct?

> 1. On a session-initiate, is it necessary that we send the transport
> candidates? It may take some time to retrieve this info, so can this be
> sent separately in a transport-info action iq? Or should
> session-initiate always include all content descriptions and all
> transport candidates for the session?

The Jingle framework doesn't legislate that you must send all (or even
any) transports at the time of initiating the session. However,
individual transport methods define appropriate guidelines to ensure
interoperability and faster session establishment. See for example
XEP-0176, Section 5.2 and Section 5.5.

> 2. Related to question 1. If i have to send atleast on tansport
> candidate, Can I send the local IP + port on session-initiate, and send
> the stun addresses separately in a transport-info packet following
> session-initiate packet?

Again, see XEP-0176 for details. The short answer is, yes, you can (and
should) send high-priority candidates first, and not send low-priority
candidates until later in the negotiation process.

> 3. Can the responder send a transport-info packet with its candidates
> before session-accept or should its candidates be only part of the
> session-accept? The adv of sending before, is we can do the candidate
> pair negotiation as the ringing happens.

Again, see XEP-0176.

> 4. I see there is no mandatory step, for the initiator to tell the
> responder, the candidate pair it has picked. So i am assuming the
> responder, waits for a RTP session on all its candidates and closes the
> unused candidates after an RTP session starts?

Basically, if a candidate is used then media will begin to flow. There
is no need to bubble this up to the signalling level, although the
parties may do so. See Section 5.7 of XEP-0176.