[Jingle] Understanding jingle handshakes.

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Mon Jul 18 23:35:58 UTC 2011

On Monday, July 18, 2011 03:41:09 PM Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 7/13/11 11:42 AM, Tester Prakash wrote:
> > 4. I see there is no mandatory step, for the initiator to tell the
> > responder, the candidate pair it has picked. So i am assuming the
> > responder, waits for a RTP session on all its candidates and closes the
> > unused candidates after an RTP session starts?
>
> Basically, if a candidate is used then media will begin to flow. There
> is no need to bubble this up to the signalling level, although the
> parties may do so. See Section 5.7 of XEP-0176.

Right, there's no need for extra signaling when using ICE.  There is a
nomination process at the ICE-level that the peers use to know which candidate
to transmit over.  In the case of the Aggressive Nomination approach, the
candidate to use might even change during negotiation, but this is fine.

Justin