[Jingle] Announcing Jingle support at Google

Arvind Jain arvindjain4u at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 07:35:20 UTC 2011

Peter Thatcher <pthatcher at ...> writes:

> We are pleased to announce that we have launched support for Jingle
> XEP-166 and XEP-167 for Google Talk calls to and from Gmail, iGoogle,
> and Orkut.  We have also added the same level of support to libjingle
> (http://code.google.com/p/libjingle), which is used by many native
> clients.  From this point on, it will be our primary signalling
> protocol, and the old protocol will only remain for backwards
> compatibility.  We also plan to soon update Google Talk on Android to
> speak Jingle, but we do not plan on updating the Google Talk Windows
> application.
>
> We suggest all clients that interop with Google Talk to switch to
> using Jingle rather than the old protocol.  We will remain backwards
> compatible with legacy clients by continuing to speak the old protocol
> as well.  If you wish to continue working with legacy clients, such as
> the Google Talk application for Windows, you may also wish to continue
> speaking the old protocol.  But the future is Jingle, and the old
> protocol will eventually go away.
>
> Finally, we are still working on implementing XEP-176 (ICE-UDP).  In
> the meantime, you'll need to use our draft-06 version of ICE, which is
> implemented both in libjingle and in libnice, two open source
> libraries.
>
> I hope that this will be a support to the Jingle community and futher
> our efforts to have open standards for voice and video communication.
>
> - Peter Thatcher

We are creating a application which will do login to gtalk server for
voice/video chat. We found call signaling at following link
http://code.google.com/apis/talk/call_signaling.html
Now we found your post mentioning that gmail/gtalk will be supporting XEP-166
and XEP-167. We have following queries:

1. Does XEP-166 and XEP-167 support has been started with gmail/gtalk?
2. Is there any plan to provide new version of gtalk client which includes
jingle support?

- Arvind Jain