[Jingle] Jingle's <alternative-session/> in use for Jingle File-Transfers

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Jul 30 17:23:22 UTC 2011

On 7/30/11 7:43 AM, Tobias Markmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during implementation for XEP-0234 and interop testing I've noticed that Gajim is using XEP-0166's <alternative-session/> error condition if you try to send it another file using a new Jingle session. It's saying use existing session A and add your new file there instead of using the new Jingle session B.
>
> Is this supposed to be a supported behavior by implementors of XEP-0234?

This seems to be connected to multi-file vs. single-file. If an
application supports exchange of multiple files over the same session,
it might have a preference for using the existing session (to avoid the
costs of session establishment). However, IMHO that preference shouldn't
all that strong. Discussion is welcome. :)