[Jingle] Fwd: Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jul 8 14:46:05 UTC 2013

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the
current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:45:23 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
To: Peter Thatcher <pthatcher at google.com>
CC: <rtcweb at ietf.org> <rtcweb at ietf.org>

On 7/8/13 8:40 AM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Cullen Jennings <fluffy at iii.ca
> <mailto:fluffy at iii.ca>> wrote:
>

>     On Jul 3, 2013, at 2:42 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net
>     <mailto:ibc at aliax.net>> wrote:
>
>     > So compatibility with SIP is important but compatibility with
>     Jingle is just impossible.
>
>     The mapping of SDP to jingle is in the Jingle specs … I'm not
>     express any opinion on this one way or another other but the authors
>     of theses specs have always claimed Jingle fully mapped to and from SDP.
>

> I think he meant "impossible without SDP munging", which I think is
> undeniable.

What do you mean by "SDP munging"?

As we know, various things are being added to SDP. The Jingle specs have
not necessarily been updated yet to track those changes, although
proposals have been made on several points. If folks want to keep Jingle
in sync, that work would need to happen at the XSF. Feel free to join
the jingle at xmpp.org list if you have proposals: